Search This Blog

Thursday, May 6, 2010

GLASSWORKS


Last Friday my friend Candace let me redeem my Christmas gift from last year; thank you, Candace! She took me to GLASSWORKS STUDIO in Morristown for the afternoon. It was a first for both of us and it turned out to be a lot of fun.

Once we arrived we were instructed in the fine points of making fused glass objects. Armed with goggles, glass cutters and ideas, we settled down to work. Fully absorbed in what we were doing, we vaguely heard conversations around us. Candace made a glass platter and I decided to make a tray for MONARCH BOOK REVIEWS bookmarks.

It takes about a week to get the finished product back since it has to be fired. As you can see, it turned out really nice for a first effort! The owner, Stacey Schlosser, and her staff are very helpful, especially if you're a novice and not really a "crafty" person.

We spent some time chatting with Stacey before we left. She told us about a problem she had one summer when all of her kilns were down and she had a lot of large groups of children who had created their own masterpieces. She didn't know what she was going to do, so she contacted PEGGY KARR who is well known for her glassware and has a large production facility in Randolph. (I actually have a few PEGGY KARR bowls.) Ms. Karr was gracious enough to let Stacey bring everything that needed to be fired to her studio so none of the budding artists had to be disappointed.

All in all, visiting GLASSWORKS is a nice way to spend an afternoon and we definitely plan on going back.

If anyone would like a bookmark (they're nestled in the glass tray in the photo), just email your snail mail address to me. Let me know if you're in a book club so I can send you a few extra.

I hope you enjoy reading my CHATTER and FIVE MINUTE CONVERSATIONS as well as the book reviews. Send me an email and let me know what you think.

Wishing everyone a HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment