Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

SUMMER UPDATE

Hi, everyone, hope you're all good and if you're on the east coast, hope Irene didn't cause you any harm. 

This has been a hell of a summer!  This is my second summer blogging and reviewing books and, just like last summer, August seems to be my blog vacation.  I've been staying at my summer home in Connecticut and we had a lot of guests including my friend Sue from Delaware.  Our sons and their significant others came for visits, and we spent time with our Stonington friends, too, creating new memories.

On August 19th, my husband and I were one of four families who hosted a progressive cocktail party for approximately seventy five people.  George planned on arriving in CT on the 17th to help with the preparations, but work prevailed and he was still stuck in Friday traffic on Route 95 mid-way through the evening.  Luckily I was able to work the phones and quickly had magical elves to help put everything in perfect order for the event.  (Thank you Pete, Beanie, Dana and Lyndsay!)  The house was sparkling, the garden was "fluffed", there was plenty of wine and food and everyone seemed to enjoy the evening.  It was a lot of fun but by the time the last guest left, I was more than ready to kick off my shoes and flop!

Unfortunately, about fifteen minutes after the cocktail party ended, I received a phone call that my brother had passed away.  Although we hadn't been close in recent years, Bob was my hero and champion when we were growing up and he'll always have a special place in my heart.  Four days later, we had an earthquake that could be felt along the entire east coast, and I couldn't help but feel it was from the stamping feet and cheering to welcome Bob into Heaven. 

Just three days later we started preparing for Hurricane Irene.  We boarded up the windows, checked our flashlights and stocked up on water and food, all ready for Irene.  Who knew that we'd have more damage in New Jersey than in Southeastern Connecticut!  But we're still without power and don't know when it will be back on.  Our cell phones wouldn't work at all until today, and here I sit in a hotel in Mystic at 11:30 pm, totally grateful that our family and friends survived the storm without too much difficulty and and are all safe.  I have to admit that I'm really grateful that we could take nice hot showers, too!

I have a stack of books that I've finished reading and hopefully the power will come on soon so I can get back to my computer.  I think I've had enough of this vacation and I'm definitely ready to get back to work reviewing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment